VPN on Cisco 804 and 1720 routers

Is it possible to set up a VPN using Cisco 804 and 1720 routers?

If so where can I find information on configuring them?

Thanks

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

David schrieb:

With DES/3DES Featuresset on both: yes.

Google, Cisco...

There are (too) many ways to VPN, for a simple answer. Describe your setup a little closer, and help is possible.

Reply to
Uli Link

I have a 1720 in the main office with a network of 25 machines running various versions of windows 2000 and XP pro and an NT 4.0 server. I have a home office with one machine running XP pro, and a remote office with 4 machines running Win 2000. Both remote sites currently have 804 with fax or voice on one pots port. There is a need for the remote sites to access information, read and write located on the main server on the network with the 1720 on it. There is no need to access anything on the remote sites at this time, but it could be useful at some point in time.

Reply to
David

David schrieb:

Do you have fixed WAN IP addresses, or at least at the 1720? What's the IOS on both 1720 and the 804?

If no fixed IPsec with dynamic IP addresses and DynDNS is possible, but a little tricky and you'll need latest IOS. It becomes a little more complicated, depending of your Firewall setup. There are simple solutions like PPTP from the MS boxes into the 1720 WAN side, or there are better and more more secure solutions using IPsec or GRE over IPsec or EZVPN where the tunnel terminates in the router and the clients don't need to know anything about VPN.

Doing 3DES in software is very CPU consuming, but if it is only the max WAN throughput of a 804 this shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Uli Link

The 1720 has a static IP, the 804s don't.

The 804 is running IOS (tm) C800 Software (C800-Y6-MW), Version 12.2(8)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) I will have to check what the 1720 is running. The 804 is under service contract so updating software shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again!

Reply to
David

David schrieb:

A service contract entitles you for a upgrade with the same feature set. In your case IP only :-( You'll need something with k9 and FW (o) isn't luxury today. These images need the max 12MB RAM and more FLASH. So buying a new router will be cheaper than upgrade RAM, FLASH and IOS.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.