VPN client and wireless can't coexist

I have WinXP Pro with Cisco VPN client 4.0.5 over my wireless home network Dlink router, connected to Verizon DSL.

I can sign on and surf fine, but then when I initiate the VPN client, authenticate successfully, it kicks me off the network and or never let's me connect to my network resources, drives, or exchange server.

I also keep getting advice to open ports 500, 10000, and 62514 thru 62524. Who's right?

How can I figure this out?

_____ DC G

Reply to
DC Gringo
Loading thread data ...

That probably because split tunneling isn't enabled on the VPN device you're connecting to. If you have access to the VPN device, enable split tunneling, if not, contact the admin who does and ask them if they're willing to do that for you. It can be a security risk, so don't expect much unless you know them pretty well.

HTH

Matt

Reply to
Matt Williamson

Matt,

Thanks for the response. Actually, the kicking just started happening recently after I've tried so many workarounds. So, I'd probably assume split tunneling is enabled then. What about the ports 500, 10000, 62514, and 62524?

DC G

Reply to
DC Gringo

Here's actually what's happening via my system log:

I connect to my wireless network via router/firewall unit (D-link DI-624) then Verizon DSL. All is well until I initiate my VPN client. Then I after a few seconds, the wireless connection and VPN connection both get lost. Then wireless reestablishes itself. Here's a summary of system log:

IPSEC sent stop control and enter stop state Security system detects a downgrade attack for the domain controller, Kerberos reports no logon servers available Security sysytem cannot establish secured connection Network adapater device\\tcp_ip was disconnected from network, config released IPSEC sent start control and enter running state Browser forced an election on device\\netbt_tcpip Network adapter device\\tcp_ip was connected to network, initiated normal operation

Here's all system logs:

Event Type: Information Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7035 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:55:21 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\\SYSTEM Computer: MyComp Description: The IPSEC Services service was successfully sent a stop control.

Event Type: Information Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7036 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:55:21 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The IPSEC Services service entered the stopped state.

Event Type: Warning Event Source: LSASRV Event Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator) Event ID: 40960 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:04 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The Security System detected an attempted downgrade attack for server cifs/dc1.company.net. The failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request. (0xc000005e)".

Event Type: Warning Event Source: LSASRV Event Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator) Event ID: 40961 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:04 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server cifs/dc1.company.net. No authentication protocol was available.

Event Type: Information Event Source: Tcpip Event Category: None Event ID: 4202 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:07 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The system detected that network adapter \\DEVICE\\TCPIP_{9495A82E-9B5A-43E6-ACC8-5C024E9F7B36} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

Event Type: Information Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7035 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:12 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\\SYSTEM Computer: MyComp Description: The IPSEC Services service was successfully sent a start control.

Event Type: Information Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7036 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:12 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The IPSEC Services service entered the running state.

Event Type: Information Event Source: BROWSER Event Category: None Event ID: 8033 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:12 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The browser has forced an election on network \\Device\\NetBT_Tcpip_{9495A82E-9B5A-43E6-ACC8-5C024E9F7B36} because a master browser was stopped.

Event Type: Information Event Source: BROWSER Event Category: None Event ID: 8033 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:12 AM User: N/A Computer: FNL-001 Description: The browser has forced an election on network \\Device\\NetBT_Tcpip_{6EE48B5D-A4A9-47F2-AD5B-BBC2247FFCAA} because a master browser was stopped.

Event Type: Information Event Source: Tcpip Event Category: None Event ID: 4201 Date: 5/27/2006 Time: 6:56:17 AM User: N/A Computer: MyComp Description: The system detected that network adapter \\DEVICE\\TCPIP_{9495A82E-9B5A-43E6-ACC8-5C024E9F7B36} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Reply to
DC Gringo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.