OSPF Summarization within Area 0

Is it possible to use the area range command to summarize routes if you only have area 0. For example if I have area 0 with the subnets

10.0.0.0 /26 and 10.0.0.64 /26. Can I perform the following:

area 0 range 10.0.0.0 255.255.254.0

What will this cause? Is this legal? Keep in mind that Area 0 is the only area that exists.

Thanks.

Reply to
ciscortp
Loading thread data ...

it shouldnt have any effect (if the router even allows you to configure it). Summaries are only used on ABRs and only affect the routes propagated across an area boundary.

1 possible workaround is not to set up OSPF on those subnets and summarise the routes during redistribution into OSPF.

- the summary is then an external rather than an internal summary (so handling is different in some ways)

- only useful if 1 or more routers are connected to the set of subnets, statics etc.

- not feasible if 1 or more of the subnets are links between routers where you need OSPF adjacencies.

Reply to
stephen

The challenge is that There are Mainframes that Are forming Ospf Adjacencies with our routers, but the mainframes are generating Virtual IPs (/32 host routes That don't exist on any links to the manframe). We do not want to advertise all of these host routes so we would like to summarize them. The problem is that we must use only area 0. Another solution is to make the Mainframe their own stub area, then perform the summarization into area 0, but this is not an option for us. Please see below

Virtual IP addresses===1.1.1.X/32====Mainframe-2.2.2.1/30====2.2.2.2/30-Router1

formed between the Mainframe and the Router on the 2.2.2.0/30 subnet. The 1.1.1.X/32 (Virtual addresses) routes are going to originate from behind the Mainframe. Any way to summarize the 1.1.1.X/32's into a /24 using OSPF

Reply to
ciscortp

the only thing i can suggest is having 2 separate OSPF regions, and summarising between them.

if the network design allows it, i would have 1 router connected to the mainframe, and 1 to the main OSPF network, then run BGP between them (or pairs if you need more resilience)

in theory you can run 2 (or more) OSPF processes on 1 router, and redistribute. however - it seems to be "bargepole" technology last time i looked - i.e. lots of suggestions scattered aorund Cisco docs that says this is not recommended etc.

good luck

>
Reply to
stephen

If you do not want or need /32 from the mainframe then have the system programmers reconfigure OMPROUTED accordingly.

They may have configured VIPA's, however, if you only have a single mainframe these do not need to be broadcast into area 0. If you have redundant mainframes that require the use of VIPA's because the VIPA host routes will be announced over different links into area 0 then do not summarize.

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.