VOIP QOS problems

I've been trying to configure some QOS functions on my 877W. I've followed a number of examples and used the following (trimmed) configuration:

class-map match-any VOIP-Data match dscp ef class-map match-any VOIP-Signalling match dscp cs3

policy-map QOS-VOIP class VOIP-Signalling bandwidth 8 class VOIP-Data bandwidth 96 class class-default fair-queue

Interface Dialer0 service-policy output QOS-VOIP

When I do 'show policy-map inter dial 0', I see the following:

Dialer0

Service-policy output: QOS-VOIP

Class-map: VOIP-Signalling (match-any) 0 packets, 0 bytes 5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps Match: dscp cs3 (24) 0 packets, 0 bytes 5 minute rate 0 bps Queueing Output Queue: Conversation 73 Bandwidth 8 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets) (pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0 (depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

Class-map: VOIP-Data (match-any) 0 packets, 0 bytes 5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps Match: dscp ef (46) 0 packets, 0 bytes 5 minute rate 0 bps Queueing Output Queue: Conversation 74 Bandwidth 96 (kbps)Max Threshold 64 (packets) (pkts matched/bytes matched) 0/0 (depth/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

Class-map: class-default (match-any) 0 packets, 0 bytes 5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps Match: any Queueing Flow Based Fair Queueing Maximum Number of Hashed Queues 64 (total queued/total drops/no-buffer drops) 0/0/0

It's clearly not matching packets, VoIP or otherwise. It's probably a really stupid mistake, but I'd appreciate any ideas!

Cheers, Chris

p.s. I've doe a sniff on the VoIP PBX and can see it sending packets with the DSCP field set to EF (0xB8)

Reply to
Can2002
Loading thread data ...

Hi Chris,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco Router Configure QoS Template:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

2007 Cisco Salary Rates
formatting link
Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad,

Thanks for that.

I got to the bottom of the problem after a bit more checking; I'd left a route-map entry on my internal interface that was stopping the service-policy on the dialer interface. Once I removed it I immediatly started getting matches. I can now properly experiment with QOS, so I'll definitely take a look at the template!

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Can2002

OK, the policy-map is now picking up the traffic, but it's not doing much good if I kick off a large upstream file transfer.

I'm using an ADSL 2048/256 service and I suspect I'm experiencing serialization delay. I'm wondering whether it's possible to use the policy map to drop packets over a certain size when a VoIP call is in progress. I can match packet size in a class-map, I'm just not sure how to link that into the policy-map (e.g. I don't want to block every large packet, just when a VoIP call is happening).

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Can2002

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.