voip for my company

I work for a company with 14 analog phone lines and about 40 phones. Our phone vendor is trying to sell us on an IP Phone system since our systems is outdated. We have a fairly small network, a few switches, a router to our ISP, file server etc.. Would an IP phone system use the switches we have or do they require new ones? Also would we be getting rid of our 14 phone lines from our local phone company? If so, where would calls outside our building go to? I understand how it would work inside our building, with everything running over our data network, but what happens for outgoing calls? Do these IP systems just use the analog phone lines, or does the phone company give us some sort of IP line(s)?

Reply to
billfaith
Loading thread data ...

Hi Bill,

You may wish to investigate Cisco's Voice Solutions (IP Communications) Designer:

formatting link
as well as the Bandwidth.com VoIP Test Tool:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Bill,

Here is another link that talks about the Cisco IP Telephony products.

formatting link

My suggestion would be for you to use the Partner Locator tool on Cisco's website to find the closest authorized IP telephony partner.

formatting link

Regards,

Phil Schneck

Reply to
Phil Schneck

Hmm, sounds like questions best to ask of the vendor that is proposing this to you?

The thing with VOIP is, you don't really want bursts on your data network to interfer with your voice network, so most companies run VOIP traffic in a seperate VLAN or a seperate network altogether.

Typically, you'd probably be looking at keeping the POTS lines and run them through an IP gateway, although LECs are starting to deliver lines over VOIP connections as well.

But, overall, the one really to ask is your vendor what they are proposing. You could go either way on alot of this.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Bill,

You may also wish to investigate the VoIP Executive Guide:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese Cisco Technical Forums

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.