Changing native vlan on access port

I've have a scenario where a cisco switch is being connected to a switch that doesn't support Vlans. That 2nd switch is sending frames without vlan tags and I want them to be placed into vlan 801. My thoughts are that the config to do this would simply be

switchport access vlan 801 switchport mode access

but I've seen a coworker use the config below

switchport access vlan 801 switchport trunk native vlan 801 switchport mode access

I know that the middle line changes the native vlan on a trunk port to

801, but why would you do this on an access port? It was my understanding that on an acess port the switch wiill insert a Vlan 801 tag into any frames it recieves on that port. I guess my question is what affect does chaning the native vlan on an access port have? Does it place any untagged frames into vlan 801? If that's the case why doesn't just making it an access port work. No joy on checking command references only for switchport trun native vlan
Reply to
Dedan
Loading thread data ...

In the above configuration the "switchport trunk native" command is ignored. It will only be used if you switch over to "switchport mode trunk".

Ignoring VTP and CDP, the following two configurations would have the same effect:

switchport mode access switchport access vlan 801

is similar to

switchport mode trunk switchport trunk native vlan 801 switchport trunk allow vlan 801

Hope this clears it up and doesn't confuse you even more ;)

Reply to
Blaz Zupan

Thanks. I'd figured that was the case but was having trouble convincing myself.

Reply to
Dedan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.