VLAN over Layer2/3 Help...

Hello all, I'm trying to bridge a vlan over a T1 Link, and am not doing too well . Here is what I am using:

A 2950 Switch w/ 24 Ports connected to a 2800 series router via a FE port connected to a 3800 series router via a WIC-1DSU-T1V2(2800) and VWIC-2MFT-T1(3800) connected to a 3550 Switch w/ 24 Ports.

Bascalliy, I need VLAN 2 to go across that link and exist in bost end switches. I have created the truck between the routers and their closest switch, but I can't get it across the link. Am I screwed? BTW, I have tried to setup bridge-group, but it will not let create it on the WICs...

Thank you for your time...

Reply to
N1SNI
Loading thread data ...

In message , N1SNI scribes

Do you need ONLY VLAN 2 to go across the link, if so then you don't need a trunk between the switch and router. An access port will do.

If several VLANs are to cross the link then, yes, a trunk port is right. The port on the router will need to be VLAN aware with, presumably, a logical interface per VLAN on that port. However... I'm a switch man rather than a router man so I'm probably talking bollocks. We were looking at this at work with Cisco and/or Avaya switches and a Checkpoint firewall and this seemed to be the solution. Don't know if it has given you any thoughts as to where to look next, hope so.

Reply to
snowy

Thank you for the reply!

I thought that was the case as well (That the router would simply trunk all the VLANs not broken out at the interface across the WAN), but I can't seem to make it work! Everything I am reading is saying that each VLAN has to stop at each interface, and then you either route or bridge from there... Unfortunately, that doesn't work for our solution! Bridging would even be fine, except I can't seem to add a VLAN interface on the WAN port to bridge! I will keep looking and listening for clues into how do to this (If it can even be done)!

Thanks again, Bill B.

Reply to
N1SNI

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.