VLAN

Hi,

Please baer with me if it is very basic question as I just started work with cisco boxes.

Catalyst (35xx, 45xx) switches configured at different locations. Say a laser link is being terminated for A & B sites but there is problem in the link and now new ports are required to be swaped on these switches for the Laser Link.

Now my question is that Both of the ports on 2 different swithces at two different locations must be defined in the same VLAN for laser link termination ? As a metter of fact, I have such kind of configuration with me and when I take the Show CDP Neighbor Detail command on both of the switches then the ports that have been already used for termination of Laser Link are in different Vlans ? This is quite confusing for me and I want to clarify my concept as my colleague told me that both of the news ports on both ends of the link will be defined under same VLAN. Please let me know if you needed any further information.

Thanks in Adv Adance! Ade

Reply to
wonder
Loading thread data ...

two ports must be defined under same vlan,vlan 1 is default.or,you can config the two ports in trunk mode.

Reply to
shen

what if any layer 3 device is in btw 2 VLANs. in that case side A & B switch prts might be in different Vlans but within the same subnet ?

Infact when I look at the show CDP Neighbor Detail Command then I can see that both of the switch ports have different VLAN Ids but they are being used to terminate a Laser Link ?

Thanks Ade

Reply to
wonder

I think I am confusing the question. There is no trunk port or VTP configured. These are the switch ports that are only being used for termination of laser link and I need to swap the ports only. Only issue is that new ports will come under the different VLAN ids that are already defind ?

Regards, Ade

w> what if any layer 3 device is in btw 2 VLANs. in that case side A & B

Reply to
wonder

I think I am confusing the question. There is no trunk port or VTP configured. These are the switch ports that are only being used for termination of laser link and I need to swap the ports only. Only issue is that new ports will come under the different VLAN ids that are already defind ?

Regards, Ade

Reply to
wonder

Regards, Ade

Reply to
wonder

Extremely sorry for the muliple messages being posted at once due to some confusion. Sorry for that.

Thanks Ade

Reply to
wonder

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.