LAN Segregation Options?

Hello,

I was wondering if somone could give me an opinion on the scenarios I've come up with to segment a LAN.

Background: We have several office/plant locations. We want to segregate all workstations in all plants from the office computers in all plants. Mainly to segregate broadcast traffic to prevent viruses, etc, as the plant computers run manufacturing equipment, but also for security to prevent unauthorized access from office employees. Each branch/plant currently has a Cisco 2600 that connects it via an MPLS WAN to our main facility which has a Cisco 3600 router. This the only access these branches have (no direct internet). Most branches have a Cisco Cat 2950 as switch.

Our IT dept needs access to the plant computers, as do engineers in Germany. The plant computers themselves need access to the internet for software and OS updates.

Option 1 - Create a VLAN for all plant computers and trunk them all together. My thinking is to either only allow routes for certain IPs to access inside the plant VLAN, or to have a VPN server on this plant segment that can handle office connectivity as well as the German engineer connectivity. Allow all plant computers to route outbound to the internet.

Option 2 - Place a Cisco 1700 or 2600 in between the two networks and also use ACLs to limit access. Use the same VPN configuration as Option 1 for access. Allow all plant computers to route outbound to the internet.

Option 3 - This one seems a little unconventional, but realistically is it any different from Option 1? Simply change all the IP addresses on the plant computers to a different network, create the appropriate routing statements in the 2600 routers, and then use the same VPN setup as option 1 and 2?? Wouldn't this method still prevent broadcasts? The only issue would be if someone physically changes their IP to the same network address as the plant computers. This could allow a compromise.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Max

Reply to
Max
Loading thread data ...

I think that suggestion #1 would be the optimal as it keeps boundaries on your broadcast domains by using switches (faster), instead of routers (which is slower) but this could be a non-issue depending on your company size and application usage. This would also allow for a more flexible, scalable network if there was a change (which I'm sure we've all seen). It would further grant you the security so that individual PC users couldn't change their IP addresses and suddenly be able to access sensitive info. Inter-VLAN routing would have to be set up, which could be done from your 3550 or 3600 (if it is an enterprise IOS) but then you could still set up ACLs to further block traffic.

Reply to
ITNow

Hi,

I'd advise you to keep a strict boundary between office and plant networks. Option 2, putting a device in between office and plant networks, seems the best option to me. Because (basic, standard) routers aren't all that good on filtering traffic between the two networks, I'd advise you to have a look at Cisco's PIX506E. These are cheap, compared to routers with firewall feature-sets (wich is what you need in order to get any good firewalling/filtering on IOS routers) and offer great performance. Configure the PIX'es to permit only traffic from trusted, required, sources. Consider if you'd realy want the plant networks to be able to communicate to the internet! If OS updates is the only requirement, consider using microsoft's SUS server to publish updates internally, from one trusted source. Using VLAN's on switches is a good option if you need office as well as plant comunications from shared locations (operator rooms, etc), but keep the PIX in between the vlans. Keep an eye on vlan-port assignments, don't configure "plant-ports" without actually using them. About VPN; make sure you only allow VPN-access if the remote is succesfully identified/validated, use strong usernames/passwords or other forms of strong identification (certificates / tokens). Make sure you can identify VPN users internally by using specially reserved IP address (a separate IP-Subnet or range of IP-addresses) so you can always easilly filter these users further down the network.

Regards,

Erik Tamminga Actemium, Netherlands.

"Max" wrote in message news:jyMJe.38355$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.news.easynews.com...

Reply to
Erik Tamminga

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.