VLAN Query

In article , WS wrote: :We have two physically separate networks (one say, 172.16.0.0/16 and the :other 192.168.0.0/24) in one building, that we wish to make available to :clients in a separate building, linked via a single CAT 5 cable.

:Is it possible to use VLAN's (and associated compatible switches) to allow :traffic from both networks to traverse the single cable to the other :building?

Yes, that is quite common. In order to do it, though, you need to have a switch at each end of the link that supports IEEE 802.1Q trunking. You would mark each switch port according to the network it should belong to, and then you would set the link between the switches to be a 'trunk' and then set the port to belong to both VLANs.

It's usually pretty easy to do once you know where on your switches to look to configure it. We would need to know more about which manufacturer and model of switch in order to give more specific directions.

Reply to
Walter Roberson
Loading thread data ...

Yes. Use "trunking mode" between the networking gear.

Reply to
phn

We have two physically separate networks (one say, 172.16.0.0/16 and the other 192.168.0.0/24) in one building, that we wish to make available to clients in a separate building, linked via a single CAT 5 cable.

Is it possible to use VLAN's (and associated compatible switches) to allow traffic from both networks to traverse the single cable to the other building?

Reply to
WS

In article , ws wrote: :The switches that I will be using are two Netgear GSM7223's

:So far I have configured the basics of the switch, and have found the VLAN :setup menu under the GUI. This is the point at which I become a little :confused. I think what I need to do, is to: :1. On the default VLAN exclude ports 1 & 2 - do I need to turn tagging on or :off?

You want tagging to be off on any port which is not acting as a trunk.

If you are given an option of "Untag PVID only" or similar words [ran into this one on a Nortel switch last night] then use that on your connections that will act as trunks. If you are only offered the choice of "Tagged" versus "Untagged" then you want the "Tagged" choice for trunks.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

The switches that I will be using are two Netgear GSM7223's

formatting link
They will be connected to the 192.168.0.0/24 network fibre backbone connected via the gbic slots. I'm planning on using ports 1 and 2 on the switches for the

172.16.0.0/16 network, while the rest would be used for the 192.168.0.0/24 network.

So far I have configured the basics of the switch, and have found the VLAN setup menu under the GUI. This is the point at which I become a little confused. I think what I need to do, is to:

1. On the default VLAN exclude ports 1 & 2 - do I need to turn tagging on or off?
  2. Create a new VLAN including ports 1 & 2, but excluding the rest of the ports - again, do I need to turn tagging on or off?

Am I on the right track? If so, is there anything else do I need to do?

Your help is MOST appreciated :o)

Reply to
ws

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.