vlan issue

I have configure the 4 vlans in switch 2950 i assinghed the ip for vlan2,vlan 10 ,vlan 20 and there is no ip for vlan 1.

but in all vlans only one vlan is up other is showing administrativily down if make other vlan up all other vlan will get down . i m total confusied about this please guide me .

Reply to
preetham
Loading thread data ...

preetham skrev:

Switches only use the IP address for administrative purposes. It is not possible to have more than one administrative vlan with IP address enabled at a time.

-SAto

Reply to
SAto

Greetings,

The "problem" is that the 2950 is a layer 2 device, its only Layer 3 capability is for management access TO/FROM the 2950 itself, and not any of the ports. This means that you cannot apply any layer 3 attributes (eg IP address) to any Layer 2 port, so... if you configure VLAN 1 with an IP address, then no other VLAN can be configured. TO configure VLAN 10, you MUST first shutdown VLAN 1, as only 1 Layer 3 VLAN interface is valid for a 2950.

Cheers..................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.