VLAN bridging over GRE tunneling

Hi!

Is it possible to use a GRE tunnel to connect 2 switches in diferent locations with the same vlan?

basically, the scenario is a 2 locations; both with a switch and the same vlan. I need one computer from the first location to access the a vlan on the second location.

I was thinking on dot1q tunneling but im not really sure and never done this before

thanks! Xavi

Reply to
Xavier Veral
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Bartosz Gagat

If the both Switches are in same Vlan then hey must interact with each other without and problem. Why you need GRE tunneling in this scenerio.

May be i am not clear about the asked question.

Rgds....CK

Reply to
CK

Presumably the two locations that the OP is connecting with a GRE tunnel aren't linked together with a protocol that supports VLANs natively.

Reply to
alexd

yes, exactly thats the case; i have both offices linked using encrypted gre tunneling (vti interface) and need to access on vlan on office 1 from office 2.

I need to make something like, lets say a subinterface on the tunel that connects both switches and vlan.

Im not sure if i explain the idea correctly :-)

thanks

Reply to
Xavier Veral

yes, exactly thats the case; i have both offices linked using encrypted gre tunneling (vti interface) and need to access on vlan on office 1 from office 2.

I need to make something like, lets say a subinterface on the tunel that connects both switches and vlan.

Im not sure if i explain the idea correctly :-)

thanks

Reply to
Bartosz Gagat

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.