Two default routes for cable and wireless

Hi all,

I doubt if I'm right, so need to ask all of you..........

I enable UTP cable(100M) and wireless(54M) connection on my W2K Pro laptop simultaneously. Portion of output of "route -n" is:

Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.30.254 172.16.30.227 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.2 1

The first one is the route for UTP cable connection, and the second one is for wireless.

When I traced out, I found the best route(or IP) that my laptop was using is

172.16.30.227. How did my laptop choose best route since Metrics for cable and wireless is "1"? If I say my laptop will first compare Metric, lower Metric will be the best route. If metric is the same, then compares Bandwidth, larger Bandwidth will be the best route. In this case, cable(100M) is the best route than wireless(54M). Am I saying right?
Reply to
Michael Shiah
Loading thread data ...

Since your quesiton is about Windows, what is it doing in a Cisco newsgroup?

Since they have the same metric, it just picks one arbitrarily. Maybe it chose that one because it's first in the table.

Your PC doesn't know the bandwidth. You should set the metrics to correspond to your preference, so set the metric for the first one to 1, and the second one to 2.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.