Tool to backup cisco router configurations?

I'm looking for a tool to use to backup Cisco router configurations. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Robert

Reply to
engineer10325
Loading thread data ...

rancid

Reply to
Gregory Edigarov

What would you need the tool for? I find HyperTerminal alone adequate for the backup. I have done an artilce about three ways to backup and restore the configuration of a cisco router, you can find it here:

formatting link

Mohammed

Reply to
Mohammed Alani

The process needs to be automated, archiving 100s of router configs every night at midnight.

Reply to
engineer10325

here:

formatting link

Mohammed,

Thing is - all of the methods listed there require typing. Many people require a method that require no typing to automatically back up configurations. This might be done perhaps every day or even at every change.

Cisco works does this very nicely although at considerable cost. I suspect that the Kiwi people have one and I think that there is something on the sourceforge repository. Cisco Open Source I... (COSI?)

There it is -

formatting link
CiscoConf Ciscoconf automatically fetches configurations from Cisco routers whenever syslog indicates that a change has been made, and stores them under RCS. CiscoConf (consisting of ciscoconfd and ciscoconfr ) allows full configuration histories for Cisco routers to be maintained remotely.

Reply to
Bod43

Does anyone know how it actually does it ? Does it do a telnet session behind the scenes to list the config or issue a COPY stored-config tftp://mumble.someting) ?

Reply to
JF Mezei

Use CiscoWorks LMS, you can schedule backups at regular intervals. This is fantastic when you have several hundred devices.

Reply to
gcave

Another option, get a free TFTP server and code a scheduled command on your rtrs to write runing config to TFTP x.x.x.x

peace t0

Reply to
t0

here:

formatting link

The problem with the CiscoConf is that the project has been left without development since 2001. I tried once, along time ago, and it did not work out for me. I would go with Cisco works despite the cost.

Reply to
Mohammed Alani

This configuration on a router or switch will automatically save the startup-configuration to a FTP server (other transport options are available as well) after a writing the ruuning-config. There are also ways to do this automatically on a daily basis and many other usable features.

ip ftp username "FTP_USERNAME" ip ftp password 7 "FTP_PASSWORD" ! archive log config logging enable hidekeys path ftp://"IP_FTPSERVER"/"DIRECTORY"/"FILE_NAME"

Reply to
DutchSEA

I use Kiwi CatTools

formatting link
It runs every night automatically, backs up the running configs from routers, switches, firewalls, etc., produces a "change report" and saves dated copies of the configs in an archive file. Can also be used to do "mass change" maintenance, where you want to do the same thing to a bunch of devices at once.

Reply to
Mike Dorn

I forgot to add one command "write-memory".

This configuration on a router or switch will automatically save the startup-configuration to a FTP server (other transport options are available as well) after a writing the ruuning-config. There are also ways to do this automatically on a daily basis and many other usable features.

ip ftp username "FTP_USERNAME" ip ftp password 7 "FTP_PASSWORD" ! archive log config logging enable hidekeys write-memory path ftp://"IP_FTPSERVER"/"DIRECTORY"/"FILE_NAME"

Reply to
DutchSEA

A big "what he said.." on Kiwi CatTools. It does a very nice job of maintaining a configuration history. I think its definitely worth the money.

Reply to
Joe Matuscak

• formatting link
    A perl script which uses Net::Telnet.
  • formatting link
    A utility script for secure backup of Cisco IOS routers via SSH.
  • formatting link
    A platform-independent tool to automatically collect and archive the configuration of network devices like switches and routers.
  • formatting link
    How To Copy Configurations To and From Cisco Devices Using SNMP
  • formatting link
    A framework for interaction with networking devices from various vendors, over various transport mechanisms, and with various authentication schemes.
Reply to
Peter Allgeyer

Thanks for all the great tips!

Robert

Reply to
engineer10325

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.