To BGP or not to BGP (multihoming with ISPs over uneven links speed)?!?

I have two providers, of whom one offers me a DS3, and the other a T1. I was thinking of using BGP, but I am not sure if there are ways of load balancing in such a way that inbound and outbound traffic happen in the same proportion as the port speed I have with each. If not - what other options would you see being available for such a setup? My last resort is to use the T1 as backup (passive), and run all traffic exclusively over the DS3, under normal circumstances ... but this would be such a waste ...

TIA, Papi

Reply to
papi
Loading thread data ...

On 26.03.2005 18:34 papi wrote

So what is your normal need? A T1 or a DS3? If it is more a DS3 then get rid of the T1 and get another DS3. If it is more T1 than you might want to get rid of the DS3. Otherwise just turn on your BGP and watch how traffic settles.

BGP was in no way designed to do traffic engineering. It's a reachability protocol. It's only metric is AS hop.

Of course there are several ways to trim you BGP. But doing this with a T1 and a DS3 is a complete waste of time.

Arnold btw: Who told you that you will be able to use both links?

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

1. I have right now a setup with two ISPs, with different fiber runs and POPs, belonging to two major carriers (for redundancy), each with a T1, running "simple" BGP
  2. I am upgrading one of the T1s to a DS3
  3. The initial thought was to run everything over the DS3, and have the T1 to the other provider as a "backup"
  4. While planning for "3." above - I thought of putting the remaining T1, actually, to some use, instead of letting it got "to waste" (i.e. no interruption in the DS3 ==> no use for the T1 ==> waste)

Papi

Reply to
papi

On 26.03.2005 19:54 papi wrote

Again: if you really need more than a T1, upgrade the second to DS3 as well (or fractional DS3). If not you will run in big trouble when your DS3 fails. In that case most customers find it better to have no connectivity instead of a very lousy.

Of course you could also engineer the T1 to allow only premium traffic and traffic anything else on the florr. Generally this is PITA.

Nopte buna, Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.