3640 router, BGP-4, and 2x ISPs

Hello, First, I would like to say I my knowledge of BGP can fit on the edge of an atom. The other protocols, no problem, but BGP...

We have 2x ISPs, an AT&T T1 and a 5.8Ghz backbone (3Mbps). We have one AS number and our ISP has their routers set in a way that allows our IP addresses from AT&T to flow over our 5.8Ghz. line...

Here is our dilema, we don't exactly have the highest budget, so our router is a 3640. It has the 32MB Flash, 128MB DRAM. However, when I plug both the T1 and the Airspeed connection into the router, it reboots due to the high number of BGP routes. Our ISP was going to give us a new IOS version that was smaller, saying that it would free up some space, but that sounds like a duct-tape fix to me.

I was reading online and saw that some people have their routers set to only have one set of BGP routes, but I have no clue what to search under to find more data on that. Also, with that method can our IP's still be routed over the active connection?

With our current IOS+BGP config+only one ISP plugged in, our router bogs down every-so-often. It is fairly bad when you do a show run and get noting, at least show start still works...

Any help would be appreciated. I really know very little about BGP.

Thanks, Scott Brown City of Sandy

Reply to
darktiger
Loading thread data ...

W artykule darktiger napisa³(a):

First of all you've to setup default route to one of your upstream providers. In second step setup prefix-list on your bgp sessions to cut off prefixes longer than /24. If it dosen't help you'll have to cut more (/23 or more).

TP

Reply to
Tomasz Paszkowski

Your ISP should be able to do this. Most ISPs that offer BGP ask you to tell them what set of routes you want them to send. The choices usually are:

1) Just a default route 2) Routes to the networks of the ISP and their directly-connected customers 3) All routes

Contact your ISP, tell them to send you just a default route, and you should be all set.

Reply to
Barry Margolin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.