Taking the BSCI course next week

I have the delightful duty of setting up BGP between two separate ISPs for the company i work for. So I enrolled myself into the BSCI course (with intentions of taking the BGP course as well if need be).

My network has Cisco IOS based routers (that I setup by hand) and Nortel Contivity switches which both support BGP.

We self host our own DNS/Mail/Web and FTP servers. We also host a VPN for branch offices (mix of Nortel Contivity and Cisco IOS IPSec). We also "own" two class C address ranges (we are using both). We currently use NAT at our main office even though we have these class c ranges. Our branch offices use private network ranges.

Both of my providers have stated that they will support BGP for a one- time setup fee.

I have my DNS servers setup so that once we move NAT out of the way, they will be reporting the correct IPs for our services. I plan on moving our DNS pointers to our class C addresses (as secondary servers) before implementing BGP. Once BGP is implemented and NAT is removed, my ISP addresses will no longer be needed and will be removed from the record.

Our network is relatively small and is serviced by an 1811 with 2

2610's as backup. I also have a 1750 laying around. They can all do the IPSec and routing functions I need (software wise).

That being said, I want to hear from anyone that has implemented a scenario such as this. What kind of questions should I be asking (I mean something that is learned by experience and not instructed in the course) etc. Are there any gotcha's I should be looking for?

Thanks!

Mik

Reply to
Mikhael47
Loading thread data ...

I implemented a setup very similar to this and we ran into a major problem with using a Class C subnet - there are many service providers and organizations that do not accept /24 advertisments into their routing tables.

We were not able to connect to any site's which used Akami for content distribution (thousands) and god knows how many other sites / organizations.

We dumped our Class C and applied for a /21 from APNIC (the next smallest subnet you can apply for) and then everything was accesable.

James

Reply to
James

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.