T1 issue

Every now and then, links to my remote offices are lost due to T1 failures. The symptoms of the malfunction line involve extended pings showing dropped packets. Other times, no traffic will pass through the link at all; the T1 module interface status will either be UpDown or DownDown. The topology is straight-forward, containing only point-to-point IP addressing between the Cisco routers, which include various combinations of the following models: 7206, 3640, 2621, 1721.

I have found that physically unplugging the T1 cable from the interface module and reinserting it will bring the connection back to normal. Reseating the telecom company's Pairgain card or simply reloading the router will also work. Telecom has only ever seen clean circuits after the problem is resolved.

Part of my troubleshooting has been to replace every piece of hardware, including swapping WIC modules, routers, and Pairgain cards.

I need a technical explanation for what is occurring. Is this an issue I should bring to my telecommunications provider? Or is this an issue with the Cisco hardware?

Reply to
hackbac
Loading thread data ...

Greetings,

My initial thoughts would tend to head towards some obscure configuration issue, possibly revolving around a Clocking problem (such as a clock not locked to a stable source), but then you talk about -

and at that point I would back off, because "pair gain" apperatus can be really dicey to work with. If it means the same thing in your part of the world as my part of the world (New Zealand), then Pair Gain is deadly to good Data communications and is avoided at all costs. Basically, our version of Pair Gain uses a Provider supplied device that Frequency Division Multiplexes 2 data streams down one copper pair (effectively providing 2 copper pairs over 1 cable pair). The Frequency shifting means the transport must use 100% analog technology, and we haven't see that around here for 10+ years now, its full Digital Data Services end to end here. But then your Pair Gain may be different to ours. Here we can refuse a Data Service if the Telco attempts to use Pair Gain H/W, and we haven't seen one used for over 10 years now. If it does use FDM then clocking can be a serious issue, as you are 100% reliant on the provider network for the Clock source in ALL cases...

All the rest of your message strongly suggests your Provider has a configuration issue and is not providing stable clocking to your devices, but I say this thinking about how its done in this country, and things may be different at your end.

Good luck...............pk.

Reply to
Peter

My experience suggests (limited E1/T1, extensive Cisco) suggests that the routers hardware is unlikely to be an issue.

If you clocking is configured correctly (and even of it is not configured correctly, in my experience all you see are a few line errors) then it must be a telco issue.

There are several docs on troubleshooting T1 on CCO.

sh controllers t1 x/x/x

displays comprehensive error reports for the last 96

15 minute periods. 96 x 900s = 24 hours.

Zero errors are the number to expect really.

T1 has extensive integrated diagnostics and problem reports are sent from one end to the other so that both ends have a view on the behaviour of the link. I am not an expert but remote alarms for example are problem indications that have been sent from the other end.

Post the controllers and serial interface sections of the config and also a "sh network-clocks" and a few sections of a "sh controllers t1 x/x/x".

You could ask the Telco to do an end to end test.

Reply to
Bod43

There are many issues with a local loop these days, from coroding connections from decades old installations along the streets, to failing NIU ,etc.

Most of the issues I have seen are from the NIU (or smart jacks) that terminate the telco connection. It provides loop back diagnostic functions as well as the telco interface to the customer DS1 interface. Once these have been in service for a while the contacts on the relays can become intermittent/noisy. the telco will loop this device, causing the relay contacts to switch to put the circuit in a loop back to the telco and thus cleaning the connects and correcting the problem, will run clean and the telco will claim there is no issues with their circuit. If this happens two times in a row I request a replacement.

Also, two wire HDSL t1 extended lines from the telco can have issues with some services such as frame relay, etc. This is similar to DSL as the service is a modulated data stream over just one copper pair and not the bi-polar data stream over the seperate transmit and receive pairs in traditional t1 circuits which would require repeters every mile whereas the HDSL lines do not so telcos are trying to put the HDSL lines in as much as possible, and saves on pairs. However any noise on the modulated signal can cause frame relay and other protocol services to drop and have to regain connectivity which can be several seconds on never can id too noisy whereas most point-to-point circuits would not care as much. The HDSL is more sensitive to noise just like other DSL services than the traditional 4-wire T1 repeated lines.

Reply to
MC

Well, I'm pretty sure that I don't have much of a choice as far as the Pair Gain cards are concerned. Technology is slowly picking up in the middle of the Pacific. I will look into an upgrade from my telecom and ask for more tests to be done on their end.

Because I am using WIC T1 DSUs, I do not have the "show controller t1" command. However, I've included the "show controller serial" command in my post.

Also, I could not execute the "show network-clocks" command on the remote end.

All the help is much appreciated! Brian

LOCAL_2621>sh ver Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version

12.4(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) LOCAL_2621 uptime is 14 weeks, 4 days, 4 hours, 37 minutes Cisco 2621XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 3.1) with 127308K/3764K bytes of memory. Processor board ID FOC08251CWQ M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2 2 FastEthernet interfaces 2 Serial interfaces 32K bytes of NVRAM. 32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

LOCAL_2621#sh network-clocks Network Clock Configuration --------------------------- Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type

5 Backplane NOT AVAILABLE PLL

Current Primary Clock Source --------------------------- Priority Clock Source Clock State Clock Type

5 Backplane NOT AVAILABLE PLL

LOCAL_2621#show service-module Module type is T1/fractional Hardware revision is 0.88, Software revision is 20050811-0.3, Image checksum is 0x80ACD1B3, Protocol revision is 0.1 Receiver has no alarms. Framing is ESF, Line Code is B8ZS, Current clock source is line, Fraction has 24 timeslots (64 Kbits/sec each), Net bandwidth is 1536 Kbits/sec. Last module self-test (done at startup): Passed Last clearing of alarm counters 1w1d loss of signal : 1, last occurred 1w1d loss of frame : 2, last occurred 19:46:22 AIS alarm : 1, last occurred 19:46:22 Remote alarm : 1, last occurred 1w1d Module access errors : 0, Total Data (last 96 15 minute intervals): 0 Line Code Violations, 2036 Path Code Violations 0 Slip Secs, 50 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 681 Degraded Mins 1336 Errored Secs, 67 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 50 Unavail Secs Data in current interval (480 seconds elapsed): 0 Line Code Violations, 13 Path Code Violations 0 Slip Secs, 0 Fr Loss Secs, 0 Line Err Secs, 7 Degraded Mins 13 Errored Secs, 0 Bursty Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Secs, 0 Unavail Secs

LOCAL_2621#sh controller s0/1 Interface Serial0/1 Hardware is PowerQUICC MPC860 with Integrated FT1 CSU/DSU module TX and RX clocks detected. PowerQUICC SCC specific errors:

31321 input aborts on receiving flag sequence 0 throttles, 0 enables 0 overruns 0 transmitter underruns 0 transmitter CTS losts 11910 aborted short frames

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
hack.bac

Greetings,

Note: Please see my final comments before acting on any part of the following...

This all looks pretty "normal" to me, the Framing and Line code are what I would expect to see, the Clock source is fine. Hopefuly the other end of these fractional Circuits should look pretty much the same. Interestingly, B8ZS suggests that NRZI encoding is being used (which is good) as that can help with recovery of clocking in older tranmissions systems. In modern transmission systems NRZI encoding is not usually required these days, although most still support it.

This suggests that the bearer is stable (loss of signal = 1w1d = uptime) and is not being broken, however the "loss of frame" is my guess as your main concern. 1 loss in over 1 week might be acceptable, but 2 in that time, the last less tan 1 day would start to raise my concern. It may be a once off event, but 4 in 2 weeks I would definately start to worry about...

The line coding is fine (zero), but I am not sure what the PATH code error might mean. Whatever it is I would say thats a high reading that your provider may be interested in

Are you able to confirm that the other ends of these Fractional links have no obvious setting issues? Assuming that they are set the same (B8ZS and clocking external), then whatever the issue is, it looks to be 100% within the provider area of resolution to me, and NOT in the Routers at either end.

Having said all that, the circuit looks like it is "basically" working, with a high count of intermittent issues. While not preventing its overall use, the "random events" would provide periods of degraded operation.

Now THAT is a good indication of what the provider may need to look at, circuit framing (no received Flag due to ABORT) is failing at a fairly high rate. This is likely to only be an end user noticable event if the user traffic is moderate to high. At lower traffic volumes it would pass almost unnoticed (to an end-user).

And thats the cause of the frame errors, an early ABORT. An ABORT can be a local/remote site issue but in this case its more likely to be a Provider issue.

Do you have any other Fractional Circuits from this provider? Do you know how many of those they have set up before?

Cheers..............pk.

Reply to
Peter

I appreciate the help once again! The analysis of the errors is very helpful, and I intend to bring this issue to my telecommunications provider. Yes, I do have several other T1 circuits from the same company, who does have a decent amount of experience in this area.

Brian

Peter wrote:

Reply to
hack.bac

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.