Frame Relay -HQ-remote offices slow connection

I have been given this scenario :

remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.

users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.

What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each site ?

I do not have router's configuration to look at it

Reply to
zillah via HWKB.com
Loading thread data ...

This link for troubleshooting it would not help me

formatting link

Reply to
zillah via HWKB.com

There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco see any problems?

If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we can give you more advice.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Thanks, I will try to find out the answres for these questions

Reply to
zillah via HWKB.com

Don't think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps is little bit faster than dialup,,,,can we imagine that we have got 20 users on dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?

Reply to
zillah via HWKB.com

Don't you think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps is little bit faster than dialup 56000,,,,can you imagine that we have got 20 users on dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?

Reply to
zillah via HWKB.com

Yes I tend to think that link speed and number of users is the problem and as you've said they complain of slowness now so reducing the bandwidth even more will of course create more problems. What else is there to expect from such action?

While you can throw more bandwidth at the problem for a quick fix if the business needs to get productive quickly but for long term capacity planning we need profile the application. Is this application available across a LAN where you can look at individual transactions and determine the volume of data being transferred? In that environment can we adjust increase latency and reduce bandwidth to determine the breaking point?

Reply to
BernieM

HWKB.comhttp://www.hwkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/network-cisco/200703/1 As a broad generalization, if you have 20 users running an application which accesses a remote Oracle DB server (or anything else) across a

64k (or 128k) connection, it's going to be slow. I'm surprised it's actually working at all and not simply timing out. Must either not be very large data sets or executing everything remotely. Plus, if you have any other network traffic going across that link it will degrade the performance of your primary app(s) very quickly. I would start by looking into the bandwidth requirements of your app and see what can be done about sizing your WAN more appropriately.
Reply to
steve_nsi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.