Syslog on Solaris 10 box

I have the logging turned on and is pointing to a Solaris 10 box. The switch log shows that it is sending messages to the syslog server, but the server is empty. Is there anything special that needs to be configured on the Unix box to properly receive the log messages? here is a snip of my config file :

service timestamps debug uptime service timestamps log datetime localtime no logging console ip nat log translations syslog logging facility local6 logging source-interface Loopback0 logging x.x.x.x

Any suggestions?

TIA Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy
Loading thread data ...

I think that by default the syslog server will accept local7 logs. What does your syslog config look like. Where are you looking for the logs? /var/log/syslog or /var/adm/messages?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

Here is a syslog on Solaris 8 I am using, should be same on Solaris 10.

Need to setup syslog on the Solaris server to accept the logging from the router(s) and indicate the file where these logs will be.

The syslog configuration file is /etc/syslog.conf the entries below are added in the file which does not exist be default. Here are sending all four type of logs to the same file in /var/log in the file named cisco. Can use a different file for each log level if want.

# Logging for Cisco routers local6.info /var/log/cisco local6.warning /var/log/cisco local6.error /var/log/cisco local6.emergency /var/log/cisco #

Also need to make sure the file /var/log/cisco exists, easy way to create an empty file is run the following on the Solaris box.

touch /var/log/cisco

Oh, and use tab between the syslog.conf entry items, not spaces, seems there is a problem syslog reading the configurations file having spaces, anyway works with tabs for me.

Will need to have syslog re-read the configuration file, without rebooting can issue the following

pkill -HUP syslogd

Reply to
MC

Thanks for the reply. I don't admin the syslog server, and have only limited knowledge about it. From what I saw, the config is looking at /var/log/syslog.

Thanks Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to get the conf code from the admin :

local6.debug /var/log/switches local6.info /var/log/switches

From what I know, it looks fine. Any suggestion on what I may have did wrong on the switch?

TIA Lovejoy

Reply to
Lovejoy

Also remember that you in your syslog config file you need to have the following line present with the -r switch:

SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0 -r"

In my Linux disto this file is /etc/sysconfig/syslog this is a different file than your syslog.conf file, this line with the -r switch tells the syslog daemon to accept log entries from remote machines. And of course if you run any IPTABLES or any other firewall, you need to open port

514/UDP on the box.
Reply to
Chad Mahoney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.