Symantec Ghost across VLANS routed by cisco router

Thats the problem, i got it to work by reading from this community and added the lines "ip pim sparse-dense" to all vlan related interfaces.

Now my problem is that my symantec ghost sessions went from approx 5 -

7 minutes to now 20 - 30 mintues.

Thats unacceptable as anyone can see. What has gone wrong and why would this occur if my router is 2821, which has dual gigabit ethernet ports.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
amfony
Loading thread data ...

Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan multicasting and routed multicast traffic? Or did you mean the difference between unicast and routed multicast?

Ghost adjusts its multicast rate to the slowest system in the network (the Master Client). With multicasting enabled, Ghost may be reaching a very slow client on your net that you didn't see before. Even though you have gigabit ethernet ports, routing the multicast traffic will introduce some latency that wasn't present on a single VLAN.

Reply to
Mark Williams

even though the 2821 may have gigabit ports, it is unlikely that it has that much throughput capabilities (125MB per second). it probably has about 60 Mbps of forwarding capacity, so one asks why the gigabit interfaces to begin with - a marketing ploy by Cisco to make you think you're getting a big boy router!

Well you need a layer 3 switch like the 3750 to alleviate these problems... or ghost with> Is the time difference you mentioned the difference between single-vlan

Reply to
jbrunner007

where did you getthose specs on the 2821 router ?

We got one and actual throughput testing on our netowrk showed much higher than that.

I would like to see what the listed performance specs are supposed to be,

Thanks

Reply to
MC

formatting link

2821: 90,000 pps CEF, 87.04 megabit/s
Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hmmm, by my reading of the table the 2821 does:-

2821 170,000 87.04

(the clue is that these figures are all in the same row:-))

The document states that this assumes min size Ethernet packets (512 bits)

If the average packet size is larger then the Mbps throughput will be larger.

170,000 pps could represent something close to full duplex Gigabit with 12,500 bit packets.

I have a 2811 here. Maybe I could give it a whirl. Probably not today though.

Reply to
anybody43

Opps, my eyes jumped lines when I was transcribing.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.