802.1x and software deployment (symantec ghost)

My organization is looking into 802.1x authentication for some parts of the lan. Our concern is how can we use our Software deployment suite (symantec ghost) with this in place. i.e. If i try to boot from an MS-DOS network boot disk to reimage a machine it won't authenticate since there is no 802.1x client for DOS and thus won't be allowed access.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Is anyone deploying software on an 802.1x secured lan?

Reply to
chusome
Loading thread data ...

In case anyone stumbles across this and is asking the same question here is the answer I was able to find.

The issue of deploying software over an 802.1x secured network an be easily taken care of by setting up a guest vlan. How it works is if the client fails the 802.1x authentication the switch will put the client into the guest vlan that you have pre-configured. You could setup the guest vlan to only permit access to ports required by your software deployment package. After your finished the deployment your machines will be able authenticate and will be placed into the proper vlan.

See:

formatting link

Reply to
chusome

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.