Windows - Browsing across vlans and also DC's on separate vlans

I have 2 windows 2003 dc's that are also dns servers and are on separate vlans.

I am having browser issues and also netlogon errors.

I suspect I need to do something on the switch but I am not sure what. It is s a cisco 2548g switch.

Reply to
punisher
Loading thread data ...

Is this a new problem or an ongoing one? As long as you don't have that traffic filtered via ACL then you shouldn't have to do anything. Can you post the config of the two VLANs?

Reply to
Harkin

Assuming both DC's are for the same domain -

1. Verify that the DHCP server is giving out the IP address of BOTH the DC's for DNS servers. (All to often I see DHCP servers handing out DNS servers that are outside of the network)
  2. If your client machines are pre-Win2K (i.e. Win 95, 98 or NT) install the WINS service on both DC's. Also in that case, make sure the DHCP server is handing out the IP address of BOTH DC's as WINS servers
  3. Check the event logs on both DC's and make sure that replication is running properly on both the SAM and the DNS between the two servers. If not, fix that first.
  4. As the DC's are on separate VLANS, are you routing all protocols between the two VLANS or are you doing some packet filtering with the router. If you are doing filtering with the router, refer to item 3 above.

(If the DC's are for different domains the list gets longer)

punisher wrote:

Reply to
Charles Deling

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.