Suns disappearing from DHCP listing

Hi,

I've got PCs, Macs, printers and some Sun SPARCstations running on a small biz intranet. Router is a Cisco Linksys RV042. Client IPs are received by DHCP.

The strange thing is: all clients receive a valid IP - including the Suns(!) - while the router doesn't show them in its DHCP table any more. I'm sure it once did.

What's going on there?

regards Michael

Reply to
Michael Moeller
Loading thread data ...

Cannot say what's going on. I would try:

- debug and compare DHCP server events on your DHCP serving router if possible (don't have your Linksys, I have one with DD-WRT-firmware)

- capture and byte-compare the DHCP-Handshakes of two devices of which one is listed and the other not (using wireshark and a mirrorport of your switch, or using a breakout-box, whatever is available to you)

- trying a pure Cisco router or IOS (e.g. using GNS3) as DHCP server and debug there

- look for a firmwareupdate or an alternate firmware for your Linksys

hope you'll find the source of your little problem,

regards from germany

Thomas

Am 25.01.2011 19:43, schrieb Michael Moeller:

Reply to
Thomas Caspari

Thomas,

I checked the routers log and let wireshark run while starting the router over. I'm afraid my knowlegde of this network stuff is limited when it comes to details but everything looks pretty normal to me. At least it looks as always. Meanwhile I noticed in case the Suns are not listed in the dhcp table some pictures on the maintenance page are broken too. Seems like the routers page gets corrupted at times. Why this only affects the Sun workstations is an interesting bug, though.

Regards, Michael

Thomas Caspari wrote:

Reply to
Michael Moeller

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.