Smartnet support

Hi group

if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different major release)?

Thanks

Reply to
Carl
Loading thread data ...

In article , Carl wrote: :if you get Smartnet support for various Cisco products does this allow :you to upgrade your existing IOS to a newer version of IOS (a different :major release)?

*Usually*. However, if the Smartnet part number starts with SAS then you only gain the right to upgrade within minor releases [and you also get no hardware support.] SAU is the part number leader for software-only support that includes major upgrade rights. CON is the part number leader for hardware and software upgrades for most people. There is another part number leader (S2P?) for Service Providers.

Beyond the above, you should know that if you do not already have the latest IOS major release, then Cisco may require you to purchase the upgrade before you can do a CON SmartNet agreement.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks Walter

so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware & software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the PKG3 catagory?

Regards

Reply to
Carl

Hi Carl,

You may wish to investigate the Cisco SMARTnet Q & A:

formatting link
as well as the Cisco SMARTnet Pricing Calculator:

formatting link
and the Cisco SMARTnet Availability Tool:

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com Cisco Resource Center Toll Free: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Website:

formatting link

Reply to
BradReeseCom

In article , Carl wrote: :so the following part number - CON-SW-PKG3-VS indicates hardware & :software upgrades (major releases) for Cisco products that fall in the :PKG3 catagory?

Atch, I don't know the answer to that one. If I recall correctly, the VS suffix is "Virtual Service", and Cisco was unable to explain to me what virtual service and virtual packages were about. Also, the PKG* part numbers are being phased out, replaced with specific part numbers for each package (though the pricing might still be level-based internally.)

I do not recall seeing a -SW- midfix before, so I'm not sure that provides hardware support.

Cisco has literally several thousand smartnet part numbers, and they change things around.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.