Smartnet

Hi guys, i have a Smartnet on a couple of switches, i am wondering incase i need one day to open a case, would cisco ask me to have the latest image on the switches for them to give me support, or there is no need. thax guys.

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

If you open a case and you have a deferred image then certainly expect that they will want you to upgrade to see if doing so address the issue reported.

Reply to
Merv

Hi Andy,

Cisco TAC Policy:

Receive workaround solutions to reported Cisco software problems using reasonable commercial efforts.

In some cases, Cisco will implement a patch to the software.

When Cisco asks you to upgrade software to resolve a problem, you will usually receive information about the specific software problem.

However, to speed resolution, you may elect to upgrade without receiving the specific information.

If this is the case, Cisco will still attempt to identify the software problem.

formatting link
Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco TAC Contacts Worldwide

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco SMARTnet Pricing
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

If the switches in question are running without any problems then I would not upgrade until eitehr (a) you need a new feature or (b) you encounter a problem that you believe may be corrected in a newer version of switch software.

Upgrading software just to have the latest version is ill-advised.

Reply to
Merv

Thx guys, i totaly agree with you merv and that is what i am recommending to my client, and i do not believe the image is a deffered release on any of the switches because they have been running smoothly on the same image for the past 2 or 3 years, but my client is pushing for the upgrade and he mentioned that the first thing cisco support will ask for when i open a case is to upgrade to the latest image.

Reply to
Andy

I would suggest pointing out to your client the pros and cons of upgrading IOS version.

If I had a dollar for everytime I had to back out a release ...

If you want to show him a really good example of how BAD things can get with respect to new IOS versions take a look at the number of deferred images there are for the 6500.

If he insists, then you will need to selecta couple of target releases and do a through bug scrub for DDTS that might be triggered in your client's network environment.

Upgrade one switch only and let it run for a month before upgrading any other switches.

Reply to
Merv

Thx guys, really appreciate your time.

Reply to
Andy

Unlike many vendors of equipment containg software Cisco do not have a policy of requiring customers to run "the latest" software.

In my experience it is not the case that TAC request customers to carry out blind (I call them) software upgrades in the hope that the problem will simply go away.

Thing is though - if there are network problems of any kind the customer may blame you for whatever his problem is and it may be difficult to defend yourself. You should consider doing whatever the customer wants since at the end of the day what matters are happy customers not necessarily working networks.

As already discussed, I would also not change the software if you have something that you know works for you.

Cisco support software almost for ever. For example you can still download 11.1.36-CC4 for 7500 and 7200.

It is deferred, presumably due to some security bug, but if I recall correctly 11.1CC was found to be particularly robust and was de-facto GD (maybe even actually GD) used by service providers and the like.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.