Setting up dial in properties for Cisco 1841 router.

I am trying to set up a modem to be able to dial into the router in the event our network is down or misconfigured. I have done this on several of my 1700 series routers, but I am having trouble doing this with a new 1841 router we have. I have a U.S.Robotics Modem (Model#5686) which I connect to the AUX port on the back of the router. The modem is exactly the same one I use to successfully connect to the 1700 routers. When I try to connect to the 1841, I am able to dial in and connect but the hyperterminal screen is blank with a flashing cursor. I have my Aux Line setup like so:

line aux 0 modem InOut transport input telnet stopbits 1 speed 115200 flowcontrol hardware

Any ideas were I could be going wrong and any suggestions on where I may look to better diagnose this problem. Thanks Glenn

Reply to
gselser
Loading thread data ...

Glenn,

Your configuration is fine as far as it goes. USR Sportsters do have one issue, in which they sometimes, when operating in answer mode, tend to forget what DTE speed they are supposed to use, with the result that, after answering a call, they may be trying to talk to the router at the wrong speed. This often can be remedied by using modem autoconfigure ... for example:

line aux 0 modem autoconfigure type usr_sportster

If this still doesn't work, then you could try to triage basic modem connectivity by reverse telnetting out the aux port, then dialing in from Hyperterm. You should be able to type "hi mom" in the Hyperterm window and see it in the reverse telnet window and vice versa. If this doesn't work, then you have some kind of hardware/cabling/phone circuit problem. If this does work, but you still can't dial in and get an exec prompt, then you have a configuration issue or possibly a bug.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.