Server redundancy

I have received a request to have two servers in two different locations (possibly with different carriers) set up so people can look at web pages on one, but if it fails the users ger switched to another server.

It is for EMO.

I'm not even sure what group to post in. Our carrier is proposing a setup where the firewall at the remote site runs VRRP with our main corporate firewall, and running full BGP. I'm thinking there must be an easier ( and cheaper ) way to do it.

Reply to
tcollicutt
Loading thread data ...

I've always thought this would be interesting to try to see how well it works.

dns1 entry = server1 located at isp1 dns2 entry = server2 located at isp2

Have a short life on the dns entries. Then, if one isp or server dies, the other is always responding. Sort of an unsophisticated way of load balancing as well. The first one to respond would be the one that the client connects to. This certainly is not an ideal solution, but would be interesting to try.

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

In article , wrote: :I have received a request to have two servers in two different :locations (possibly with different carriers) set up so people can look :at web pages on one, but if it fails the users ger switched to another :server.

:It is for EMO.

EMO? Something to do with urban punk music??

formatting link
Or EMO as in an Emergency Measures Organization?

What are the reliability requirements? Is there user state or context being carried on the web server (eg., "Recent search results", or "You got here from...", or a login session, or dynamically generated URLs for tracking purposes) ? Can exactly the same query be placed to both sites with exactly the same result (up to the last synchronization point)?

If a server dies in mid-connection, does the other server need to pick up the pieces and continue sending the result? Or is it good enough that when the user hits "refresh" that the new server will be picked up and the page drawn properly?

How quickly is it necessary to notice that a server has gone down?

Is there any need for "load balancing"? e.g., if one server gets busy, then the user gets redirected to the other server?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.