Selecting only one wireless network

Hi:

I am using the Cisco Aironet Card 350 with a Linksys Wireless router using WEP. My wireless card usually picks up the correct network, but sometimes it picks up the neighbour's network by accident, even though I haven't created a profile for these networks. I have tried changing various setting in the client by guesswork (checking "primary antenna only, unchecking "scan for a better access point"), but it still picks up the other networks. I want it to pick up my wireless router, or nothing at all. How do I set my card to do this?

Thanks, Kayda

Reply to
tabladude
Loading thread data ...

In article , wrote: :I am using the Cisco Aironet Card 350 with a Linksys Wireless router :using WEP. My wireless card usually picks up the correct network, but :sometimes it picks up the neighbour's network by accident, even though

:various setting in the client by guesswork (checking "primary antenna :only, unchecking "scan for a better access point"), but it still picks :up the other networks. I want it to pick up my wireless router, or :nothing at all. How do I set my card to do this?

If you are using XP you use a different approach: you reconfigure your Wireless Zero Configuration or turn it off completely.

One problem description:

formatting link
How to install WZC; also some info on configuring for multiple networks

formatting link

I don't find a link right at the moment, but one problem a lot of people have with WZC is that the default settings are to connect to the strongest signal, rather than restricting to one particular network, or picking an AP and sticking to it.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm actually running Win 2003 server usually (I have a dual boot but stay on Win 2003 Server for various reasons). I have the "Wireless Configuration" service, and it doesn't matter whether I turn it on or off. (Is that the same as the "Wireless Zero Configuration" service? That service is not available if I follow the steps in the article.

Shouldn't there be some setting in the Cisco 350 Aironet Client utility that allows me to select one AP only? I think this would be something people would need to do quite frequently.

Reply to
tabladude

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.