Router interface utilization

Hi, how do you calculate the interface utilization - e.g. reliability 255/255, txload 100/255, rxload 122/255 - do you total the 100 (txload) and 122(rxload), get 222 and say the utilization on the interface is (222/255) 88%

Reply to
terrydoc
Loading thread data ...

No, the transmit and receive are mutually exclusive. tx is transmit, rx is receive, and therefore you treat them differently. I suppose you could aggregate them and then take it over 510, but I can't think of any real reason to look at it that way. Additionally, the tx/rx are averaged over a set amount of time if I recall correctly, like 5 minutes, but its using some specific calculation. Since bandwidth on circuits is full duplex (1.5 meg transmit AND 1.5 meg receive on a T1 for example), you do not aggregate tx and rx.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

So using your numbers, transmit is 100/255 or 39.2% utilized, and receive is 122/255 or 47.8% utilization.

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.