Roaming on three Cisco Aironet (AIR-AP-1231G)

At the moment I have four ?ZyXEL ZyAIR B-1000? accesspoints. They are configured to use roaming (with no central server radius etc.) and they all have the same SSID. The clients move nicely between them, no problem? But they only support WEP and not WPA.

Therefore I now have three AP-1231 cisco access-points. But how do I set up roaming (with no central server) like the zyxel? All the information I have found on the Internet describes solutions with a central server? The roaming was really simple on the zyair but I suppose cisco have the same functionality some where?

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
Martin
Loading thread data ...

Martin,

If all you want from the 1231s is the same functionality that you had with the ZyXELs, then just configure them the same way. I.e. use the same SSID on all 3 APs and same static WEP key.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Aaron Leonard skrev:

Hi Aaron,

But will the access-points be able to "negotiate" with the two other access-points about who will take the wireless client.

The ZyXEL's have a special IP port where this communication is running.

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
Martin

~ > If all you want from the 1231s is the same functionality that you had ~ > with the ZyXELs, then just configure them the same way. I.e. use the ~ > same SSID on all 3 APs and same static WEP key. ~ > ~ > Aaron ~ > ~ > --- ~ ~ Hi Aaron, ~ ~ But will the access-points be able to "negotiate" with the two other ~ access-points about who will take the wireless client. ~ ~ The ZyXEL's have a special IP port where this communication is running.

No idea what those negotiations might be. In general, it's the client's decision to associate to a given AP. (Unless the ZyXELs are doing some kind of goofy Meru-ish "big BSSID" thing.)

The Cisco APs will by default chat amongst themselves via the IAPP protocol (UDP port 2887) to inform each other about roam events etc.

Oh, do put your APs on nonoverlapping 2.4GHz channels (i.e. 1, 6 and 11.)

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thank you for your answers Aaron, I appreciate that :-)

Last question, should I use the same channel on all three access-points? Anything else I should be aware of?

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
Martin

You will need wireless domain services (WDS) for fast secure roaming. 3 AP will be able to do this without additional hardware.

As Aaron Pointed out:

"Oh, do put your APs on nonoverlapping 2.4GHz channels (i.e. 1, 6 and 11.) "

you should use 3 non overlapping channels.

Reply to
corb

~ >>

~ >> No idea what those negotiations might be. In general, it's the client's ~ >> decision to associate to a given AP. (Unless the ZyXELs are doing some ~ >> kind of goofy Meru-ish "big BSSID" thing.) ~ >>

~ >> The Cisco APs will by default chat amongst themselves via the IAPP ~ >> protocol ~ >> (UDP port 2887) to inform each other about roam events etc. ~ >>

~ >> Oh, do put your APs on nonoverlapping 2.4GHz channels (i.e. 1, 6 and 11.) ~ >>

~ >> Aaron ~ >

~ >

~ > Thank you for your answers Aaron, I appreciate that :-) ~ >

~ > Last question, should I use the same channel on all three access-points? ~ > Anything else I should be aware of? ~ >

~ > Best Regards ~ > Martin

~ You will need wireless domain services (WDS) for fast secure roaming. 3 AP ~ will be able to do this without additional hardware.

WDS is definitely a good thing, especially if doing EAP, especially especially if you can do CCKM for Fast Secure Roaming. But, if you're doing static WEP (as I infer the O.P. is), it doesn't really buy you anything.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thank you all for your awnsers.

But what if I want to use WPA-PSK (AES or TKIP) and not WEP. Is that a problem?

Best Regards Martin

Reply to
Martin

Martin schrieb:

Usually not. There may be weird clients causing problems. It is really essential to avoid overlapping channels.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.