RIPng and passive-interface

Hello,

I am using RIPng (RIP for IPv6) in some Cisco Routers 2811. I could not find a way to put an interface in passive mode for RIPng!!!!!!

Do you know if there is a way to do that????

Thank you very much for your answer.

Eric.

Reply to
Eric Gamess
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK the passive-interface command would be configured under the appropriate IPv6 routing process

x(config-if)#ipv6 router ospf 1 x(config-rtr)#passive-interface ?

however ....

x(config)#ipv6 router rip RIPOFF x#passive-interface ? % Unrecognized command

open a case with Cisco TAC

Reply to
Merv

Eric,

From what I can tell, it doesn't appear to be supported, at least as of IOS 12.4(15)T1. If you want those networks in your routing domain, it may be best to use a 'redistribute connected' in your RIPng process...

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

Believe RIPng is configured on each interface: cfg-if# ipv6 rip enable. First instance starts the global process (no RIPng statement in global cfg required). By not putting a statement on an interface, it's passive. HTH. John

Reply to
baynes10

Hm. If RIPng is not enabled on an interface, does this make it passive (meaning RIPng messages are received and processed, but not sent) or does it make it completely ignore RIPng messages?

Reply to
pk

If you don't enable RIPng on an interface, yes it will be passive..because it will not be included in the protocol. ;) If you need to get that network into your RIP domain, you need to run the process on there or redistribute the interface.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

This is not the commonly accepted definition of what "passive interface" in RIP means.

This is not what the OP wanted. "passive interface", in RIP, means "an interface that does not send updates, but is included in the protocol, and receives and processes updates from its neighbors (including updating the routing table)". What you suggest does not accomplish this, since enabling RIPng on an interface will make that interface actively participate in sending and receiving updates.

Reply to
pk

pk,

Yes, I understand what passive-interface means in regards to routing protocols. What I am saying is that it doesn't look like this ability is currently available in the latest IOS version. I'm assuming he wants the interface network in his RIPng database. Since 'passive- interface' does not appear to be supported, another option to have that network in his RIPng database is to redistribute it. But you are correct in that if he wants to receive and process updates on that interface, he's out of luck.

neteng

formatting link

Reply to
pcmccollum

Sorry...I got my passive meanings mixed up.

How about putting the intended passive-if in a separate process? !passive if cfg-if # # ipv6 rip enable !all others cfg-if # ipv6 rip enable

The 2811 learns all, process-name2 if's learn each other's; but process-name1 and 2 if's don't know each other's. Not sure that's the intended result / outcome.

Route filtering is another way, possibly: ipv6 router rip distribute-list prefix-list out ipv6 prefix-list deny ::/128 Then run RIP on all if's.

Not sure the list syntax is correct, but intent is filter all routes out that if....

HTH, John

Reply to
baynes10

Ah ok, then I didn't understand that we were saying the same thing :-)

Reply to
pk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.