Question with VPN and TFTP

We have 2 offices, main office has a PIX 506E, remote uses a Cisco 851. We currently have a VPN in place, works just fine.

Main Office (PIX 506e)

10.0.0.x

Remote Office (851)

192.168.3.x

At the main office we have an IP phone system from Avaya. The IP phone system has a built in TFTP server, 10.0.0.15 is the IP for it. I can connect an IP Phone on the LAN with the phone system and it finds the TFTP just fine. However, when I bring it to the remote office, it cannot find the TFTP server. I can ping the IP phone, 192.168.3.70, and it responds, but we cannot get the TFTP to come up.

Any suggestions for what I might be missing when it comes to this?

Thanks!

-Douglas

Reply to
Douglas
Loading thread data ...

Get a sniffer trace of how the phone finds the TFTP server - is it by broadcasting to 255.255.255.255 or is the TFTP server address configured on the phone ?

You need to see if the 851 supports the "ip helper-address" command in the case the phones are looking for the phone TFTP server by broadcasting. Those broadcasts will not leave the local LAN.

Do you have DHCP server configured on the 851 ? this maybe another difficulty in try to use the ip helper-address" command. Would need to separate phones into one VLAN and PCs into another on th 851

Reply to
Merv

not sure if the same goes for avaye, but on Cisco Phones the TFTP server is obtained via DHCP option 150 So maybe your remote LAN's DHCP service doesnt provide that option to the phone.

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

I have manually configured the phone with the necessary info. I gave it a static IP address, the correct subnet mask, the correct default gateway, the correct CallServer and the correct File Server. I just want to make sure there isn't anything that has to be done in the tunnel or the firewall rules.

Reply to
Douglas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.