QOS Issues as a result of link saturation (Using Adtran Netvanta 3305s)

I am having link saturation problems with a network consisting of the following in two locations :

Adtran TA600 Series passing data off via V.34 to Adtran Netvanta

3305s. The circuits are provided by the same CLEC at both sites, with average latency of 8-10ms between the links.

The units include the optional VPN modules, QOS is setup, and we are carrying voice traffic across the VPN. The commands applicable to carrying traffic out of order (to insure QOS) across the vpn have been issued.

All equipment is running the most recent firmware releases from Adtran.

The problem is simple but difficult at the same time. The circuits are used for internal web browsing, external hosting (email, web, dns, etc), and also our VPN and latency sensitive voice traffic. The links are easily saturated by a user downloading a file from the internet, preventing QOS and killing the ability to carry reliable voice across the links. Looking through the Adtran documentation and in repeatedly talking to Adtran about the problem there doesn't seem to be a simple rate-limiting feature that I can find in the product to prevent link saturation, call it really basic traffic shaping.

I love the reliability of these appliances and do not want to replace them if I can avoid it. Because of the way the network is configured, using one ethernet interface on the 3305 for our private network (NAT) and another for the public segment (public IPs issued to equipment, with firewall filtering done by the 3305), it makes it difficult to add another device in between the network and the device - simply because there are really two networks involved. It would be very difficult to restructure this because of all the equipment running on the public segment.

What am I missing on the Adtran side - any suggestions if I'm not missing anything, perhaps a comparable Cisco product that supports traffic shaping, a serial v.35 interface, and two ethernet interfaces that could be directly dropped in place of my Adtrans?

Reply to
lwalling
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you need to check that HTTP/FTP downloads, Internet browsing, etc. are setup in a bulk traffic class, using weighted fair queueing, and that queue is "policed" on ingress. Traffic shaping is typically used to handle burst traffic on WAN lines, since it queues excess traffic in order to conform to a committed rate on the link, whereas policing can be setup to drop excess traffic within a defined class. Given that you mentioned TCP-type traffic, I'd go with policing this stuff at the LAN-side of the router because those protocols can handle drops, and it will keep this type of traffic from consuming the bandwidth across the link(s). You could also go one step further, and police this stuff at the closest switch to the hosts, which will keep the entire LAN congestion-free of this type of traffic.

I'm not familiar with Adran, but just about any Cisco 2800 series router w/ IP Service image can do this, and should support your needed interface config. Expect to spend around $3000 for a 2811 router, including support and V.35 module.

Brian

Reply to
response3

Traffic Shaper XP does rate limiting:

formatting link

Reply to
r72392

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.