using norvergence (adtran)

These are probably totally newbie questions, but I'll ask anyway :)

I have:

1) a Norvergence (Adtran 850?), a few (analog?) feature extensions, the T1 interface (still on the wall, disabled now) - with the T1 RCU and 2 FXS modules. 2) an ADSL interface (SpeedStream router) 3) a Larscom Access-T DSU 4) a Verilink Connect-T1 DSU 5) a handfull of POTS lines, with associated NEC PBX 6) a Cisco 3200, 2 ea. 3000's, and a handfull of Asante fiber hubs. (also a WS-X3006 ATM module, but nothing to plug it into :) 7) a Cisco 2500 and 4 internal networks 8) plenty of available Linux servers, local DNS and firewalls 9) almost no VoIP experience.

Questions: Is it possible to connect any combination of this gear to use VoIP? (I included the Cisco's and the DSU's since thay all have V.32 ports)

Can I connect the Adtran T1 port to one of the DSU's, and use it as a T1-ethernet bridge?

TIA,

Reply to
als
Loading thread data ...

P.S., the hotmail address is bogus.

Reply to
als

What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to run VoIP between sites or for remote users? Whats driving your question?

Dry Aquaman

Reply to
dry_aquaman

Basicly, just find a use for this equipment. :) I would like to enable a functional VoIP phone, mostly for the learning experience.

Reply to
als

If you're just looking to "hack around" for a learning experience, let me point you to this website:

formatting link

A complete SIP phone system based around Linux - for free. This will at least get you familiar with some of the concepts. I know there is starting to be a lot of businesses taking a look at Asterisk. Some are just switching over to it.

Not much you're going to be able to do with the equipment you listed except for the POTS lines.

Dry Aquaman

Reply to
dry_aquaman

Already looked at Asterisk. It apparently will not converse with the Adtran (at least it is not in the "supported equipment" list).

Reply to
als

I may be wrong but I dont think any of the equipment you have listed with work in any way other than transport. Although the 850 has FXS ports I believe you have to have an FXO connected at the far end. I dont think the Adtran is designed to do VoIP to TDM conversions. I don't think any of the equipment you listed will do you much good except for perhaps transport.

Dry Aquaman

Reply to
dry_aquaman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.