Qos dscp generator ??

Hi all,

I would like to valid some Qos configurations. Is there a dscp generator that i could run on my PC to generate tagged packets ?

thanks

Reply to
mcaissie
Loading thread data ...

Not sure about one for PC (it's been a long time - i remember that MGEN could probably do that), but why not use a router for setting dscp? Then you just have to ping or use ttcp.

Reply to
Ivan Ostreš

You can create a service policy that will flag all (or certain) types of traffic as a certain QOS. Set that service policy on the interface that your pc is connected to. While your pc isn't creating the tags, you are doing pretty much the same thing, without the need for extra software.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Reply to
Scooby

The IOS extended ping can create packets with the Priority/TOS/DSCP field set.

router#ping Protocol [ip]: Target IP address: 192.168.8.1 Repeat count [5]: Datagram size [100]: Timeout in seconds [2]: Extended commands [n]: y Source address or interface: ethernet0 Type of service [0]: 0xb8 Set DF bit in IP header? [no]: Validate reply data? [no]: Data pattern [0xABCD]: Loose, Strict, Record, Timestamp, Verbose[none]: Sweep range of sizes [n]: Type escape sequence to abort. Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.8.1, timeout is 2 seconds: Packet sent with a source address of 192.168.1.118 !!!!! Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 40/41/44 ms router#

This matched 'dscp ef' as follows:-

class-map match-all voiceoutclass match dscp ef ! ! policy-map voiceoutpolicy class voiceoutclass priority 150 class class-default fair-queue

I don't know if it is possible to specify the TOS field other than in hex. It was the first thing that I tried and it seemed to meet my requirements.

TOS 0xb8 = DSCP Expedited Forwarding (ef)

Confusing or what? I know that there is some reason behind it does it does seem insanely complex to work with doring this transitional period.

sh policy-map int xx

displays some stats.

Reply to
anybody43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.