Propagating backup default routes via EIGRP for multiple Internet connections

I have four seperate sites all connected across an MPLS network and each has it's own seperate DSL Internet connection terminated by a firewall. I want to configure this so that when one Internet connection is down, the Internet traffic for that site is automatically re-routed through one of the other sites.

I think I have everything setup correctly but the problem is, the Cisco routers on the provider's MPLS build out that I'm connecting to are outside of my control. I have tried to push the static routes through EIGRP since I am running EIGRP through those already but it doesn't seem to stick in the provider's routers.

I can ping a remote router or firewall no problem. If I try to ping the Internet through a remote connection I get a TTL expired in transit from the near provider edge router. This behavior is consistant across all locations.

What I'm trying to do seems simple but I cannot make it work.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Reply to
steve_nsi
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you need to advertise a default route to the MPLS PE routers, using the same mechanism you use for the subnets that make up your internal network. Alternatively, have your MPLS provider route unknown destinations directly to the Internet (just make sure this is acceptable to your security needs, don't assume the MPLS provider will protect you from malicious attacks if you use them for Internet access).

To get this to work automatically, you'll also need a mechanism to detect when your firewall has lost its DSL connection.

Good luck and have fun!

Reply to
Vincent C Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.