How to configure backup routes out to the Internet

I have two sites with Cisco routers (one a 3825 and the other a 2811), connected via a T1. Each site also has Internet access (through a T1 at the site that has the 3825, and through DSL at the site with 2811). I have two SonicWALL firewalls that maintain a VPN tunnel across the Internet between the two routers. If the T1 between the two sites goes down, the routers immediately reroute through the VPN and connectivity between the two sites stays up. I've tested this and it works quite well.

Here's my issue: each site accesses the Internet through its own local Internet access point; that is, the site with the 3825 access the Internet through its T1 and the site with the 2811 accesses the Internet through its DSL. What I want to do is have the site with the

2811 send all its Internet traffic across the T1 connection to the 3825 and out the 3825's T1 connection to the Internet. Of couse, I could just change the 2811's ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 to point to the 3825, but if that T1 goes down, I want the 2811 site to revert to going straight out the DSL to the Internet.

To sum up: users at the site with the 2811 should normally access the Internet by going across the 3825 then out, but should be able to access the Internet directly if the primary route is down.

The setup looks like this:

(Cisco 3825) (Cisco 2811) | | | | (Firewall) (Firewall) | | | | (T1 to Internet) ......... VPN ............... (DSL to Internet)

Send 2811's Internet traffic across the T1 to the 3825; if the T1 is down, send it straight to the DSL

Reply to
ttripp
Loading thread data ...

Float the default route on the 2811 and advertise default dynamically from 3825 to 2811 via an IGP of your choice using distribue-list in ou commands so it is only advertised/accepted on the T1 link and not on the VPN tunnel.

Floating default route: ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 250

Reply to
Merv

Optionaly you can try to configure either HSRP or GLBP on both routers, I would rather use GLBP because since you have a DSLlink to the internet, GLBP lets you check the status of the link.

Do a search for "configuring HSRP" on

formatting link

Reply to
bbaaxx

Also check out "Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking" as a defaulte route will only be withdrawn if the link to next hop goes away, however, if the next hop is not reachable, the static stillr emains

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

Well, using HSRP kind of suprises me, because I always though HSRP was just for identical routers with a special HSRP cable connecting the two together over a short distance (in the same rack). HSRP can be used over a T1 to different model routers?

Reply to
ttripp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.