Power over Ethernet with 1131 and 1230 WAPs

I've got a new site that I'm trying to get wireless working with. There are 10 access points (a mix of 1131s and 1230s), many of which were converted to lightweight mode for use with a 4400 wireless lan controller. All of the access points are run to a Hubbell Powertrac powered patch panel which is intended to supply the Power over Ethernet.The Powertrac supports mostly 802.3af compliant devices, plus a few legacy devices (although Hubbell didn't really have a list of what legacy devices that includes).

The problem is that none of the 1230s are getting any power. My questions are:

- Is the Cisco 1230 802.3af compliant? The Cisco tech handling a TAC case I opened says yes, but the results I'm seeing and some things I've read on the Cisco website suggest otherwise.

- If the powered patch panel is only acting as a normal patch panel port, could I put a Power Injector between switch and the patch panel?

Thanks!

--Steve

Reply to
srp336
Loading thread data ...

Steve,

The AP1200 series (1220, 1230) IS *NOT* 802.3af compliant - Cisco prestandard only. If your switch doesn't do Cisco prestandard PoE, you would have to use a power injector or power brick to power them.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Reply to
srp336

It could cause a the power brick, or the powered patch panel to short out, or it could cause a fire. I would NOT under any circumstances run the brick in series with a powered patch-panel!!!! I would bypass the powered patch panel altogether because even if you don't short anything out or see any smoking when you connect it up, long term, a problem could arise resulting in a fire.

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.