APs with 802.3af Power Over Ethernet?

Can anyone reccomend an AP (not a wireless router) that works well, has good reliability, and has built-in 802.3af PoE?

I've done the Linksys WAP54G + WAPPOE thing, though it's bulkier and more power hungry than I like, and I've done the hardware hack to a WAP54G to feed power over unused pairs in a CAT5 cable, but that's not very "off the shelf", and is fairly labor intensive.

Anyone have any experience or reccomendations? I might need as many as a dozen of these things, and as several of them will be in the peak of a (lessee) 16-foot ceiling, I'd rather have ones that won't need frequent replacement.

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

8>
Reply to
Bob II

Ah, I found them on the US site, WAP54GP, thanks!

Yeah, my POC5 (Power Over Cat5) hack is the lowest power solution, but the least standard one. At least it isn't destroyed by some of the low-cost "PoE" power injectors out there, like Linksys and Buffalo...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

There is an exterior one as well, WAP54GPE, but that really took him over budget.

Bob

Reply to
Bob II

Yeah, $200 and $400 is quite a bit of money, but in my case I'll be able to use a single AP with multip VLans to separate out guest from owner access without building separate public and private LANs, so it almost makes sense...

Yeah, WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware apparently does that too, I'm considering fiddling with that, but it's another support issue, and PoE is still separate or custom.

Thanks!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I've been installing the INEREPOCH 1700 series with real good success.

they have a whole lot of features for public free hotspots that my clients love. WPA, WEP , DHCP server, filters , etc. They are in a waterproof case for outdoor mounting, cat5 POE out the bottom and a type 'N" connector on the top, can be wall or pole mounted and are are 300 mw radio.

formatting link
highgainantennas is the US distributor for the radios , located in Parker, Colo.

formatting link
the IWE1700 is the middle radio in the above page

Richard, at Highgainantennas has been real helpful in getting the radios, ships quick and NO DOA's. If I order on Monday , I have the radio for installing on Wednesday.

I've got quite a few of these radios running in motels, coffee shops, and use them for extending the internet for people that can't get cable or dsl to their homes but have a friend close enough to use the radios from that point to the point needed.

hope this helps,

Bob Smith Robert Smith Consulting

Reply to
Bob Smith

I find the Netgear WG102 reliable and cheap enough for SME use

Reply to
MM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.