port channel trough media converters

I wonder if PAGP/LACP constantly exchanging PDUs between peers or only during negotiation phase? I would like to aggregate 8 ports between c4500 chassis and 2960 switches, but optical-udp media converters are in use for the links. If I just make fixed configuration putting ports in etherchanell group then I have a problem with end to end link failure detection. So, maybe if I use dynamic port channel configuration with PAgP or LACP maybe I'll get port aggregation and end to end failure detection. Right? I ask because at this moment I don't have equipment to conduct some lab tests about this.

Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuziæ aka Pseto
Loading thread data ...

I don't know the answer to your questions however -

If your platform supports it you should be able to use UDLD to force the interfaces down in the event that you suffer any link failures. UDLD uses L2 packets (same dest mac as CDP).

LACP is 801.3ad and you can get the full spec from the IEEE. Some of the more common IEEE networking specifications are available for free download.

Some media convertors pass through the link state so you may have no problem at all if you configure the converter correctly.

My guess is that pagp and lcap exchange packets on a regular basis but I don't know. debug pagp/lacp?

Reply to
bod43

UDLD isn't my way to go because I need to aggregate links for the load balancing sake first and then ensure end-to-end link failure detection. I'm not sure if UDLD can be enabled on channel ports or maybe only physical ports are supported?

Converters with which I have to deal here are non-manageable Planet dummy convertors:( and they cannot pass trough link state...

debug pagp packet packet shows that neghbors sends PaGP packets periodically every 20 sec or so - well in this case I'll give PaGP a chance in my project;)

Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.