two switchec port-channel

Can I configure router (7200 with two fastethernet interface) to connect to two switches and configure those two ports as port-channel? Basically question is how to setup port-channel that would contain phisical ports from different switches? Is it possible at all :-)) my boss wants this kind of config. Also question is if I have server with two interfaces, how to connect it to two switches, for redundacy, load balancing and failover?

Thanks!

Reply to
Drx
Loading thread data ...

Great question, I would like to know that it can be done as well... At this point I do not believe so. First off, portchannel won't work going to two different switches anyway...

What you can do, however, is: Create a BVI, give it the same IP as the current interface, plug both ethernet's in and bridge both interfaces to the BVI. It's not a fastetherchannel, portchannel, trunk, or whatever they are called these day's, but it works good for redundncy.

As for the server, Intel (and maybe others) has prvisions for FEC and active/passive relationships.

Wil my 3¢

Drx wrote:

Reply to
Wil

On 22.07.2005 18:48 Drx wrote

In theory you could. In practice, you can't unless

• both switches are stacked together
  • it's not a Cisco, Foundry, F10, EN, ...

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

:-)) sorr but what is BVI?

Reply to
no

well ... both switches are Cisco and the are will be direct connection between them

Reply to
no

On 23.07.2005 21:29 snipped-for-privacy@no.no wrote

That's not sufficient. It only will work if both switches are stacked. What switches are ypu using?

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

On 23.07.2005 21:27 snipped-for-privacy@no.no wrote

BVI

Bridge Group Virtual Interface. The logical Layer 3-only interface associated with a bridge group when IRB is configured.

Arnold

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Reply to
no

On 24.07.2005 11:48 snipped-for-privacy@no.no wrote

These aren't stackable.

Arnold btw: If you are interested in switches being able to form one fabric even over a long distance (up to 40km) have a look at

formatting link

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.