PIX7.x/ASA and icmp redirects

Anyone knows if cisco has added the capability of sending icmp redirects to internal users in Pix7.x and asa appliances? Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh
Loading thread data ...

I'm not certain, but for the PIX at least, I would find it quite unlikely. The PIX is designed not to allow packets to go back out the same interface they came in on [*], and the RFC requirements that go with support for ICMP Redirect require that the packet be passed along (though the Redirect message itself need not always be sent.)

[*] Exception: in PIX 7.x, there is an option to allow the packet through provided that at least one component of the path is a VPN tunnel... in which case it would never be the -same- packet that went back out on the interface.
Reply to
Walter Roberson

I'm not sure too, but I feel you are right since I cannot find any new command or option that can accomplish that task, even the reference manual doesn't mention it. I'm asking myself which security issues may cause a feature like that if applied only at the inside interface, providing that this is a choice made with security in mind. Tnx, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

"bounce attacks".

If you can reach (and control) A but not B, and B is set to have its gateway be the PIX, then if you can "bounce" the packets off of the inside of the PIX, you can send A -> B forging the PIX's MAC; the reply will go to the PIX which will redirect it back to A. This allows you to bypass MAC-based filters at B.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Right, but in (not so) complex environments you need to bounce traffic among the variuos devices and/or to use redirects, as long as you don't want manually fill the hosts routing tables.....this way you only move the problem to another device. Bye, Tosh.

Reply to
Tosh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.