Difference between PIX and ASA

Hi, can someone explain me the differnces between a PIX and an ASA, especial a PIX 515E/R and an ASA 5510 plus. I understand, that the ASA has the full functionality of a PIX plus SSL-Gateway and the option of installing SSMs. I have the problem to combine and expand our PIX based network with a watchguard and soho-router based network. In the first step i will replace the 2port Watchguard on the other mainoffice with a PIX or ASA with minimal 3 NICs to implement among other things a DMZ, site-to-site VPN and the possibility for the use of the Cisco VPN-Client. If I understand the description of the ASA, I can solve it with the ASA in the same way as with a PIX and the implementation and funktion of the PIX OS 7.1x should be the same on both machines for this need. Is this correct, or can i run into trouble ? If i see the pricedifference between a PIX and an ASA, i would prefer an ASA ( i have a not verified offer where the ASA5510 plus is cheaper than a PIX 515E/R, and on the ASA i have 5 ports)

hope someone can give me more information bye Christoph

Reply to
Christoph Hanle
Loading thread data ...

Hi Christoph,

The Cisco Pix is considered old technology, and though it has not been end-of-life'd, it is not actively being pushed as their recommended solution.

This is because today organizations are faced by what are called blended threats that can only be addressed with multi-functional type technology provided by the ASA series solution.

You will also find that a PIX cost MORE than the better ASA technology solution - this is an incentive to move toward ASA.

The user can enable or disable what technology they do not want to use

- though they should use them all.

Andrew R. Reese, Security Expert

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Network Engineer Directory

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant Website:
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.