PIX 506E (6.3) MTU trouble

Hi!

Okay. After banging my head on the keyboard for a couple of hours I'm giving in :) Does anybody know what the hell PIX is doing to ICMP packets? I seem to be only able to get only 992B large ICMPs over the PIX (992B ICMP = 1020B MTU). The network layout is pretty simple:

(C)-----(R)-----(P)----(Internet)

C = client R = router (Cisco IOS 12.2) P = PIX 506E

If I run tracepath/mturoute towards the router I get the MTU of 1500 which is okay and expected (regular Ethernet). If I tracepath across the router to a VPN connected site (the traffic here does not pass the PIX) I end up with an MTU of 1436 which is also ok.

But if I run tracepath to the IP of the insider interface of the PIX the PIX will only respond to ICMP packets up to 992 bytes of size (MTU

1020). I get similar results from tracepathing hosts on the Internet (even sites where I know the MTU should be 1492). It might be worth noting that the router is in a pure routing function and is not doing any packet filtering. The MTU of all interfaces is set to 1500.

The MTU for the inside and outside interface is set to 1500 on the PIX. (Ethernet on both sides).

To make the matter weirder - I've tried the same tests on a similar PIX layout (again client -> router -> PIX -> Internet) only to end up with the exact same results.

So does anyone have a clue what exactly I'm doing wrong - or why PIX decides that ICMP packets over 992 bytes in size aren't to be trusted and neither a) responds to them b) passes them to the outside interface.

Thanks.

D.

Reply to
damirc
Loading thread data ...

It drops them as a network protection feature.

The standards indicate that one never replies to a failed or blocked ICMP packet; this is required to prevent ICMP loops (especially if the original packet was forged.)

As for what is being protected against: search for "Ping of Death".

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Thanks for your answer. I did assume something fishy (tm) was going on.

The problem being is that Active Directory fails to work properly over this link, since Active Directory still uses UDP for certain types of traffic - and it is causing me a headache ;) Unfortunately I am not allowed to force the Domain Controllers to use TCP (which is possible) (system policy is such and cannot be altered). Since I'm running a L2TP-VPN between these 2 sites I would presume that I need to lower the MTU on the outside IF by 40 bytes. Am I correct in this assumption? (if I understand correctly, at the moment I'm having reliability problems with all non-tcp traffic which is over 1460 bytes in size (single packet size))

D.

Reply to
dcy747

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.