PIX506e VPN inactivity time out issue

Hello

I have setup VPN tunnel between a PIX515 and a PIX506e. All works fine. The problem is after we don't use the VPN tunnel for a while, don't know exactly how many hours, the tunnel closed.

If we initiate the connection from pix506e, the connection will reopen. we can connect from both end to each other. But if we try to initiate the connection from PIX515, we can't. We can ping PIX506 subnet from pix515 subnet, only after the VPN tunnel is initiate from the PIX506e.

PIX515 is the center office, Pix 506e is the branch office.

Please give some advices to look into.

Thanks

Kathy

Reply to
kathy
Loading thread data ...

you can keep the tunnel pegged open with a bat file or script running a continous ping on any workstation/ server. Another option is to increase the Ike and sa lifetime to a very long amount ( not recomended as it weakens the security of your vpn )

Why the 515 won't properly initiate the tunnel is probably a configuration issue can you paste the 2 configurations ommitting customer information?

Reply to
stl-eng

Sounds like the isakmp lifetime is expiring. See the below for more information:

formatting link

That sounds to me as if the PIX 515 is configured to accept the connection from the PIX 506E via a "crypto dynamic-map". That would be the usual configuration if the PIX 506E does not have a static IP address. If the PIX 506E does have a static IP address and there is a specific crypto map policy for it, then sometimes the problem is that there is a dynamic-map policy with a higher priority (lower policy number) than the host-specific policy: the policy with the lower policy number will be used first.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

could be that timeouts are different, so that when one end, thinks the tunnel is down, the other doesnt. try issue "show ipsec sa" on both ends, before and after the tunnel times out

could also be the nature of your VPN setup, and/or your no-nat setting.

Check the nat-0 statments check that isakmp settings are the same on both ends. check policy order (numbering)

HTH Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

In theory that should not happen: the tunnel lifetime is taken to be the minimum of what you have and what the other side offers.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Hi Walter,

I know. But never the less I have seen this happend in reallife, several times. i.e. one side see the tunnel up the other as down, hence the tunne will not "reconnect"

regards Martin Bilgrav

Reply to
Martin Bilgrav

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.