PIX 515E - Some Very Basic Advice Needed

Have been asked at work to set up a PIX 515E so that the four ports on the addin card can behave like switch ports for client machines, while the e0 (outside) port is an onward connection to a LAN as well as the internet. I have set up the e0 port OK, with an address in the external LAN, and have a connection to e1 (inside) for management via the web server, as well as CLI via the console port. However I cannot get any traffic to go between any of the ports. I wiped the previous config, before starting, and used the initial setup dialog to get the management port working. The four ports intf2 to intf5 all have an IP address in different subnets, since the PIX IOS apparently let them all have an address in the same subnet.

Although I have some experience with Cisco routers and switches, I have never touched a PIX before - I suspect that what I am trying to do should be blindingly obvious, but I have not been able to figure it out nor can I find any helpful info on the web, probably as this is a scenario the PIX was never intended for LOL!

Any help that anyone can offer would be very gratefully received.

Vaughan

Reply to
Vaughan Butler
Loading thread data ...

AFAIK the PIX doesn't support bridging between the fast ethernet ports. So there is no way to configure them as a layer 2 "switch" (bridge).

Regards Markus

Reply to
Markus Marquardt

Starting PIX 7.0 you can choose between "routed mode" and "transparent mode". Default is routed, i.e. all ports are in different networks and the PIX seperated the traffic between those networks. In transparent mode, the PIX is invisible on layer 3, it acts like a switch. In contrast to a switch, the PIX denies all traffic unless configured otherwise.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.