Internet Bandwidth Capacity Planning

Hello,

I've been searching for a method to estimate bandwidth requirements for an Internet application we are developing.

The average transaction is estimated to have a 2Mb data transfer and each transaction will last an average of 3 minutes (assuming there is no bandwidth constraint). If we have 200 transactions in a peak hour, what bandwidth do we need to provide assuming we would like to maintain the average transaction time of 3 minutes?

Similarly, what bandwidth consumption are our clients likely to expect for

200 transactions at peak times assuming they have a 34Mb Internet circuit i.e. what % of available bandwidth will be consumed during a peak hour with 200 concurrent transactions?

Many thanks for your time.

Vijay

Reply to
no name
Loading thread data ...

If this is homework then use the tools and techniques expected by your examiners.

If it is a commercial activity you need to either hire a suitable consultant or carry out testing.

The mathematics of queuing theory produce some rather surprising results, no I don't know what they are but I do know to expect unexpected delays.

You might ne able to carry out a smaller scale proportional test but I am not sure if this will produce the required results.

Nistnet is your friend.

If you do not have the resources to do the full analysis or full testing I would calculate the minimum requirements assuming perfect efficiency and then incorporate a safety factor of maybe 2 or

1. Looks like homework to me.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.