Cisco 1800: How can I tell how much Bandwidth I am using vs. what I have?

I a a newb at Cisco. But what we are seeing lately is a drop off of our bandwidth availability to /from the Internet. We've basically got a T1 set up.

What I am trying to find out is the best Monitor I can use through SDM to find out what is going on and why in the last 2 weeks we've been brought to a screeching halt.

In the Monitor of our main pipe to the NET I see FastEthernet0, Bytes input averaging 1277989975 FastEthernet0, Bytes Output average 235403808

Does that say anything to you about us capping our bandwidth? Or what would be a better way to find out what process or what user is hogging our bandwidth?

Thanks!

Reply to
Brad
Loading thread data ...

Get a snmp app to poll the router. You will have to ensure you understand its a average, but should show you peaks/valleys. Also, you could enable netflow, but I've never run it on that model, so hopefully its a capability. Although netflow apps aren't usually free...so perhaps you can find a demo. Just need to configure route- cache flow and configure netflow to send to the collector.

Reply to
Trendkill

This is all good.

The numbers that you have posted are not particularly useful since there is no associated time interval. It is also possible that the counters may have wrapped. Max value is ~4G (2 ^ 32) - 1.

sh ver uptime is 12 weeks, If the counters have not been cleared this is how long they have been collecting.

sh int ...

txload/rxload

ATM0 is up, line protocol is up Hardware is MPC ATMSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module) MTU 4470 bytes, sub MTU 4470, BW 448 Kbit/sec, DLY 820 usec, reliability 255/255,

! txload 13/255, rxload 24/255 ! these are relative to the *configured* bandwith parameter ! and not on the actual line rate.

Along with the tx/rx load the input rate, output rate are an average over a configurable interval.

Default it 5 mins and min is 30 secs. Unless there are a large number of interrfaces I use 30 secs as I find it most useful.

Last input never, output 00:00:00, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1w2d ! Tells you when they were last cleared

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:

0 ! You dont want a lot of drops. 30 second input rate 492000 bits/sec, 49 packets/sec 30 second output rate 23000 bits/sec, 32 packets/sec ! This tells you what is going on now. 8003989 packets input, 637451568 bytes, 0 no buffer Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles 0 input errors, 66 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 5075031 packets output, 560542538 bytes, 0 underruns 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

! You dont want many no buffer, throttles, errors,

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.