new 6509 "Gigabit Ethernet x/x not a switching port"

Hi all, Need a bit of you expert advise on the 6509 I have just got my mits on. First of all, I have connection via the console port on the sup720-3b, even though the set interface sc0 x.x.x.x x.x.x.x just give me an error. I cannot connect to the router via the switch console 15 command. I assume that i am runnign in NATIVE mode as the "set" commands seem to be non-existant.

I thought i would push on and get some vLans set up etc to see how far we could get. When I try to put an intyerface in to a vLan

switchport access vLan x I get the "Gigabit Ethernet x/x not a switching port". Not be an expert at all here, am i running in Layer2 mode? How to I get it Layer3? I did not have this problem witht the 6519 we have.

Please help a know nothing IT guy. Thanks

Reply to
thejayman
Loading thread data ...

Turn the port into a layer 2 port by:

config t int gi x/x switchport switchport access vlan y no shut

Then you create a layer 3 vlan interface

int vlan y ip add a.a.a.a b.b.b.b

Reply to
Rex Johnson

Thanks Rex,

In my rush to get this done completly forgot to add the first plain "swithport" command. J

Reply to
thejayman

You need to enter switchport like this: SWAITC6513(config)#Interface fa4/1 SWAITC6513(config-if)#switchport SWAITC6513(config-if)#switchport access VLAN 21

The switchport is enabled by the first entry of the command "switchport" by itself.

thejayman wrote:

Reply to
stretch

You need to enter switchport like this: SWAITC6513(config)#Interface fa4/1 SWAITC6513(config-if)#switchport SWAITC6513(config-if)#switchport access VLAN 21

The switchport is enabled by the first entry of the command "switchport" by itself.

thejayman wrote:

Reply to
stretch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.